Visiting Muscat? Don’t miss Al Shatti beach
Found in the Qurum district, the modern heart of Muscat, Al Shatti is the city’s best and most lively public beach in Oman. Lounge on the golden sands or cool off in the clear blue waters of the Omani Sea. Just don’t forget to bring sunscreen, as it gets hot in the Arabian sun.
Love to shop? Then check out the upbeat commercial district at the junction of Sultan Qaboos Street and the Muscat Expressway. Jump off your Muscat Bus Tour here and discover a cluster of malls with interesting stores to explore.
Relax and refresh
If you’re feeling a little peckish, prop yourself up in one of the cafes and coffee shops lining Al Shatti beach. There’s a wide variety serving different kinds of international food to suit all tastes.
Other interesting facts about Al Shatti, Muscat
- The tree-lined streets of upmarket Qurum Heights are just to the north. One of the city’s best neighbourhoods, you’ll find beautiful villas with bougainvillea-filled gardens
- The Al Shatti Beach area is a relatively recent development, initiated in the 1980s
- One of Al Shatti’s most unique features is the architectural prevalence of brilliant white buildings
- The area is home to some of Muscat’s biggest and best hotels, including the towering Intercontinental and Grand Hyatt
- The Al Shatti district also boasts an opera house and theatre