The world’s most iconic structure
Think Paris, think Eiffel Tower. For many it’s the national symbol of France itself – and the most iconic structure in the world (there are over 30 replicas in different countries).
With Big Bus tours, you can see the Eiffel Tower from all over the city. But don’t miss out on the chance to journey to the top, with Eiffel Tower tickets conveniently available at the base of the tower - right by Big Bus’s stop 1.
History of the Eiffel Tower
The Eiffel Tower was built for the World Trade Fair of 1889. Nothing like it had ever been created: a huge, ironwork tower, with observation decks providing a birds-eye view of the city. It stands at 300m tall and was the world’s tallest building for an impressive 41 years.
The Eiffel Tower design was very controversial. Many people mocked its shape and practicality. But it was an immediate success with visitors, covering its $1.5m construction cost in the very first year.
Amazingly, the original plan was to dismantle it after 20 years. But it became such a national symbol that this was unthinkable. Instead, it was repurposed into a giant radio antenna, giving it another reason to stay put.
Other interesting facts about the Eiffel Tower:
- Originally designed for Barcelona, but the city rejected it
- Attracting around 7 million visitors a year, it’s the world’s most visited paid monument
- Was once ‘sold’ by a con artist (Victor Lustig) for scrap metal
- Its height changes by up to 15cm depending on the weather (metal expands in the heat)
- There are 1,665 steps to the top
- There’s a small apartment near the top.