Stop off at the ‘8th Wonder of the World’
If you’ve ever seen the film King Kong you’ll instantly recognize the Empire State Building, New York. These days, it’s not just giant gorillas that climb to the top. If you’re visiting the city, and have a head for heights, it’s a must-see attraction that you can get to easily with our New York Bus Tours.
The Empire State Building (or ESB as it’s often known) gets its name from New York’s nickname, The Empire State. At 1,453 feet (442 meters) high it’s still one of the city’s most visible landmarks. Why not visit the observation deck on 86th floor for one of the best views of the city?
The history of the Empire State Building
Built in the early 1930s, the Empire State Building took just 1 year and 45 days to complete. Dubbed 'the 8th Wonder of the World', it was the tallest building in the world for over 40 years.
Fancy a visit? Our New York Bus Tours stop close by, so just hop off. If you want to avoid the crowds, the best time to visit the observation deck is between 8am and 11am. You can also enjoy its shops, restaurants and a fascinating visitor center.
Other interesting facts about the Empire State Building:
- The Empire State Building observatory welcomed its 50 millionth visitor in 1976
- In 1993, 6,514 of its windows were replaced
- The Empire State Building is struck by lightning on average 23 times per year
- On a clear day you can see 5 states from the observatories
- The 102nd floor observatory was designed as a check-in area for airships.