A perfectly preserved vision of the 1920s
Almost entirely planned by George Merrick in the 1920s, Coral Gables – known as the ‘City Beautiful’ to locals – is a perfectly preserved 1920s time capsule. Discover sweeping, tree-lined boulevards, opulent fountains and the city’s most desirable old-fashioned neighborhoods.
Looking to indulge in a spot of retail therapy? Our hop-on, hop-off Miami Bus Tour allows you to hop off right outside the boutiques and artisanal stores of Merrick Park. Experience elegant fine dining at the ‘Miracle Mile’. Or get back to nature in the lush Fairchild Tropical Garden, Montgomery Botanical Centreand John C. Gifford Arboretum.
Miami’s happiest neighborhood
Feeling thirsty? Coral Gables is the place to come for Miami’s best happy hours, especially on Friday evenings when the atmosphere’s as hot as the Florida sun. Or simply stroll the Mediterranean revival boulevards and drink in the warm tropical air.
Other interesting facts about Coral Gables, Miami:
- Coral Gables boasts a number of famous tourist attractions, including the legendary Biltmore Hotel – a famous TV and movie location which once laid claim as Florida’s tallest building
- It’s home to the 240-acre University of Miami campus
- Founder George Merrick planned the community in a Mediterranean style, investing millions of his own money in the project during the mid-1920s
- It’s an important cultural centre, with theaters, exclusive galleries and fine restaurants
- Carved out of coral rock, Coral Gables’ Venetian Pool is the largest freshwater swimming pool in the US. Popular with the locals, it features caves, bridges and waterfalls